Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hump Day!



Well, it's hump day! That means we are half way through the work week and half way through our first week of Twitloss. First, thank you to everyone who has come out here and on Twitter to follow, gripe, groan, praise, and bottom line support us and each other!

Two days in to this challenge I have to shout it out: LOOSING WEIGHT SUCKS! Let me say that while I wouldn't consider myself spoiled, I have never been big on self denial either. It goes against the grain for me. I have always hung out with people I like, worn what I like, gone where I liked to go. You're seeing the pattern here, right? So naturally, I have always eaten what I like. And up until about 10 years ago that did not matter. Suddenly...or not so suddenly it mattered.

Discipline. (Get your mind out of the gutter!) Discipline has also never been my strong suit. I was a dancer for years, and that brings a certain level of discipline because of the nature of the art. But since i loved it and wanted to be good at it, it never felt like work. I loved being a dancer. I loved long days of class and then rehearsal. I really loved performing. I loved my metabolism. I could eat most anything and not gain weight. Sigh. Those were the days!

Needless to say, you can see now how dieting...even a healthy lifestyle change....might be difficult for me. Tuesday provided a painfully clear reminder of what I lack. Discipline. So, here is the scenario:

It is about 10:30am and I hit the office kitchen for a coffee (decaf) refill and my mid morning snack of 1% cottage cheese and an apple. Tres healthy. I cross the threshold transitioning from industrial grade carpet to the white linoleum floor in the small kitchen. Tap. Tap. I stop dead. There on the counter teasing me...tormenting me is a ruthless, soul-sucking, fat laden box of Girl Scout cookies. Do-si-do's to be exact. I take a breath, I can do this. Be strong. I encourage myself. I set my coffee mug down and pull out my healthy snack. I set it down and literally without thinking I open the cookies and eat one. Just like that. No thought, just action. I ate it. Crap. Clearly this is going to be much harder than I had hoped.

So there it is. My biggest challenge in this effort is not the working out...okay that's another issue for another day...but discipline. Discipline and Girl Scout cookie season. Discipline and whatever excuse I can dream up, and let's face it as an aspiring writer I think I am pretty creative. :) The next question is, what am I going to do about it? I don't know yet, honestly. I am going to start by taking this thing one day at a time and hoping I can baby step it to my goal weight.

If you are working toward weight loss right now, what is your biggest challenge? How are you dealing with it?


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

9 comments:

Robin Bradford on March 3, 2010 at 6:40 AM said...

DISCIPLINE! My mind is FIRMLY in the gutter. Rolling around and trying to encourage others to be just as filthy. :)

Yes. Girl Scout Cookies are the root of all evil. I bought two boxes and, honestly, I have just tried to redefine discipline. Instead of not eating ANY (which is an exercise in futility) I've tried to stick with the serving size. For my favorite ones, Lemon Chalet, this was VERY VERY HARD! I love lemon. Love it. Serving size was 3. 3 cookies?! Shiiiiiit. I tried to eat them with something else so I wasn't left with the lingering taste of lemon deliciousness. I logged them immediately into Spark so that 170 calories was staring me in the face. Quite frankly, sometimes even THAT didn't help and I ate 2 servings. :) But, eventually, the box was gone. It lasted a lot longer that it would have otherwise, though, and I'm calling that a win.

Robin Bradford on March 3, 2010 at 6:40 AM said...

Oh yeah, and LOVE the post. Happy Wednesday!

Lynette on March 3, 2010 at 6:43 AM said...

Great post! Very honest.

I think yesturday sucked for most of us. I sat at my desk and ate 1/2 bag of pistachio nuts and when I got home, I thought I was so smart and put my dinner on a saucer so I wouldn't eat as much. It worked, unfortunatly, I didn't factor finishing Queen's dinner. So I pigged out. At least I love my own cooking, right? Now, I'm trying to make up for it.

Pearl on March 3, 2010 at 6:45 AM said...

Great post again! For me a big challenge is discipline too but the biggest challenge is working out. I hate working out even more than sticking with a diet and not eating the stuff I love to eat.

Pearl on March 3, 2010 at 6:49 AM said...

@Lynette > Wow yesterday WAS a tough day for most of us indeed. I had a tough one too, was at the verge of ransacking the cupboards for comfort food but then drank a cup of broth and a glass of water and the moment past. I was so proud, in the past I would have given in...

Lynette on March 3, 2010 at 7:29 AM said...

Pearl. Congrats on not succumbing. Awesome job!

Unknown on March 3, 2010 at 8:02 AM said...

It was a tough day. Awesome Pearl! It can be a real challenge to fight the cravings. :) Today will be less difficult... I hope!

Trish on March 3, 2010 at 10:54 AM said...

My biggest challenge yesterday was Mashed Potatoes! UGHHHH! I love them and haven't eaten them in over 5 weeks, but yesterday I had some with the roast I cooked. And guilt! That was a challenge to get over too. After I ate it I had horrible guilt and got a little depressed. I have to stop that, I have to just acknowledge little screw up and move on. Not dwell!

Great post today! I am going to need your help getting through the time when our Girl Scout cookies get here...oh lordy!

Robin Bradford on March 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM said...

Mashed Potatoes. YUM!

 

About Us

We are a small group of women who met talking books and blogs on twitter. What better way to bond than to blog our journey to weight loss together?

Contact Us

twitloss (at) gmail (dot) com

Search This Blog

TwitLoss - women twittering with purpose Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie