Pages

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Dear Iphone Gods - please keep me on track.

Happy Thursday twitlossers. I was going to do a great big blog post on me and how I got to the point I am now, but honestly... the short versions is up on my page. Being a mom is about balance and over the last 10 years I lost it. I am working on that, so instead I am going to talk about my tools of the trade.

First and foremost...... to lose weight you have to track. I have to track. Maybe I should say that again to really get it in my head. When I don't track, I cheat and cheaters never win. Well except maybe in board games and only if you don't get caught. The truth is I have tried a lot of different tracking systems - ranging from Weight Watchers to the free sites like Daily Plate and Sparkpeople. Lots of people adore these sites, and they are hugely helpful. Yet I get bored easily and lose focus - I don't want to sit at my computer and enter in food when I could be doing something else. Enter..... my iphone.

Just like my kindle, I wonder how I ever lived without my iphone. So many useful apps, so many features that simply my life. First, Tweetdeck.... I can sync my twitter on my laptop to my iphone and never miss a #twitloss conversation. But most importantly? The iPhone Daily Burn apps. Yes, I said, apps.... because there is more than one.

First, to use them you need a FREE account from their website : Daily Burn. It is much like the Daily Plate and Sparkpeople... just a simple site to track calories, exercise, and more. Once you have an account you can use the free Daily Burn iphone app to track your food, as well as workouts and more, wherever you are and it will sync to your online account.

Now comes the really cool app... The Daily Burn Food Scanner. This super cool tool uses the iphone camera to scan the UPC symbol on products, then uses the UPC to find nutrition data. Once it pulls up the nutrition data you can add it to your daily food journal as something you ate. You can also favorite things so you don't have to rescan things you eat every day. If it doesnt find your food in the UPC database, you can do a keyword search and then link that UPC to the correct food in the database. So easy to use and it syncs with your online account, so it also syncs with the regular Daily Burn tracker app.

Since my iphone is superglued to my hand, theory is that these apps should keep me interested and on track. I am aiming to lose 25lbs during these first 90 days of the the #twitloss challenge. Get out your pom poms and cheer me (ehhh us!) on, we need it!

What are you tracking tips and tricks? Or check, any favorite iphone apps? I can always use more ;) 

5 comments:

Pearl on March 4, 2010 at 10:05 AM said...

Again a great post, Tiff. I now fear posting mine tomorrow! You ladies are so good woth words and funny and informative. I just ramble randomly *cries*

but back to the subject: I am also using apps need to track my weightloss stuff and would be lost without them.me and my iPhone were always best buddies but more so now.

Tiffany @ KindleVixen on March 4, 2010 at 10:13 AM said...

oh pearl, trust me, i ramble on lots, i just got lucky this week and had something specific to think of! Your post will be great and I look forward to seeing it! :)

I adore my iphone... words with freiends is like crack to me LOL So is the textplus app now... free texting everywhere! LOL

Robin Bradford on March 4, 2010 at 10:17 AM said...

AWESOME! Okay, that UPC scan thing is my new favorite thing and I don't even HAVE an Iphone. I wish that existed in the wild, because that is too cool. And now I have new websites to check out.

Lynette on March 4, 2010 at 10:18 AM said...

So jealous. I don't have a iPhone. Didn't see the point as At&T doesn't have 3GS service in my area.

Anonymous said...

Pearl will be great! Never fear. (When in doubt just post your avatar picture from Twitter and everyone will be so distracted they won't notice if your post was funny or not!)

I love my BB Storm...wish it had a similar app. Will have to check out your site. Maybe they have one for BB too! B/C like you...I will not sit there and enter my food like I should. Just won't do it. Then I can live in denial about what I ate.

 

About Us

We are a small group of women who met talking books and blogs on twitter. What better way to bond than to blog our journey to weight loss together?

Contact Us

twitloss (at) gmail (dot) com

Search This Blog

TwitLoss - women twittering with purpose Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie