Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

What motivates you?

Everyone needs a little motivation sometimes... especially when it comes to working out. God knows I don't wake up every morning ready to hit the gym so I can work and sweat until I kill myself.

No, even with as much as I "cheerlead" for everyone else, I hate working out. So what motivates me? The "before & after" pic, for one. You know, the one I posted on my notsopleasantlyplump blog a few months ago? Looking at that picture makes me want to keep going, keep losing, and get back down to the size I was before I went into the Navy (150). When I got pregnant with Monkey, I was 143(ish), and I'm pretty sure I'll never get back to that weight. Actually, I hope I don't. I didn't look healthy at that weight.

What else motivates me? Honestly, the praise I get from other people. It makes me sound needy and slightly pathetic, but hearing people tell me that I'm doing good or looking good always gives me that little boost I need to keep going. I don't want to go into all my issues, because they're personal and they're mine, but some part of me needs that praise. Not just for losing weight, but in all areas of my life. It's my burden to bear, but I deal with it.

So, what do I do to get myself psyched up? I listen to music. I used to listen to a lot of rock/alternative, but it made me angry. There's a specific song that comes to mind that (even though I loved it) made me so angry, I'd walk around seething the next hour or two. So, instead I listen to pop/Top 40 songs instead. An example of my typical playlist:

  • Miley Cyrus - "Party in the USA"
  • Selena Gomez - "Tell me something I don't know"
  • Jay Sean - Down
  • Kesha - Tik Tok
  • Flo Rida - Right Round
  • Cupid - Cupid Shuffle
  • Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
  • Black Eyed Peas - Pump it
  • Britney Spears - If you seek Amy
  • Carrie Underwood - Cowboy Cassanova
  • Pussycat Dolls - Don't Cha




What about you, my fellow #twitloss'ers... What motivates you?

5 comments:

Reena Jacobs on June 18, 2010 at 2:47 PM said...

A couple of things motivate me. :) First, the workout has to be something I enjoy doing (IE karate). Second, knowing the high I'll feel when I'm done. And Third, bragging rights. As silly as it seems, I love being able to say I did something during the day other than sit in front of the computer. :)

J.A. Saare / Aline Hunter on June 18, 2010 at 5:40 PM said...

Usually I'll deprive myself of music and only allow it when I do cardio. That always gets me going. I listen to all kinds of things but find that heavy metal/industrial works best for me. :)

Trish on June 19, 2010 at 5:28 AM said...

I don't have anything in particular that motivates me. I love the comments and ohh you look great, but I guess I motivate myself. I can't remember when I was under 200lbs, probably middle school...so I am determined to get there, so maybe that is my motivation ;)

WEIGHT LESS NOT MORE on June 19, 2010 at 8:09 AM said...

Wanting to be healthy motivates me since I'm not getting any younger. I've never downloaded music in my life but 3 new songs that I can't get enough of to workout to on the elliptical are California Gurls by Katy Parry; Not Myself Tonight by Xtina Aguilera and Maniac by Girlicious. They have the perfect beat and make you go like a bat out of hell. When I started back at the gym seriously in March, 20 mins at level 1 seemed impossible, now I can go for 1 hour at level 6 and that really motivates me!

Shiloh Walker on June 20, 2010 at 4:36 AM said...

seeing the weight come off. that motivates me.

And right now? shopping. Being able to shop in the non-plus sized department. Oh, MAN. I'm going slightly nuts and I need to learn restraint.

One thing that helps me stick to my work out-fast music and my active hatred of running.

Yes, that's weird I know, but I have to either love something or just outright hate it or I can't stick with it.

 

About Us

We are a small group of women who met talking books and blogs on twitter. What better way to bond than to blog our journey to weight loss together?

Contact Us

twitloss (at) gmail (dot) com

Search This Blog

TwitLoss - women twittering with purpose Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie