Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

How do you deal with setbacks?

So, I started a new job this week. Woohoo! It's only part time while I go to school, so I figured I'd have plenty of time to go to the gym before or after work.

This is the part where you laugh at me and my naivete.

I'm only supposed to be working 25 hours a week. But because I work in the Veteran's office in the Financial Aid department at the college, and it's the last week of class/two weeks before next semester/payment deadline for the fall semester... Well, I worked 12 hours of "overtime" this week. While it only adds up to 37 hours this week, which falls short of a "full time" position, almost every one of those hours was spent on my feet.

I've been running all over the office, climbing the walls (literally) to get files... Who says office assistants aren't active? Every day that I've come home, I've had to make dinner, get the Monkey bathed and ready for bed, and try not to fall flat on my face while doing so.

So, this is kind of another setback. I say "kind of" because I actually cut way back on my food intake... which was kind of getting back to a bad point. I eat when I'm emotional or when I'm bored. And sitting around the house doing nothing tends to make me both. So, there is the fact that I'm eating less and am up on my feet a lot more than I was before. Woohoo. But I'm not getting cardio in, I'm not lifting weights (unless you count a stack of student files), and ...I've completely forgotten what I was going to say there. See? Tired. My brain is mad at me for throwing it back into the deep end of the working world without giving it fair warning first.

So how do I deal with this setback? Like I do all the others. I lick my wounds, put on my big girl panties, figure out what works best (read: get in the flow of things and set a routine that includes time for a daily workout), and climb back on the horse.

So, what do you do when you experience a setback of your own?

2 comments:

Jenn on August 18, 2010 at 9:15 AM said...

I've been dealing with the same issues! I have an injury that's not allowing me to continue my workout schedule and I think this is a huge setback because I use my workout a vent for frustration. When I'm frustrated I just want to eat everything bad. Good luck getting back on track! We are all rooting for you! :)

Lynette on August 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM said...

You have a big lifestyle change. That takes some adjusting too! You'll make it!

 

About Us

We are a small group of women who met talking books and blogs on twitter. What better way to bond than to blog our journey to weight loss together?

Contact Us

twitloss (at) gmail (dot) com

Search This Blog

TwitLoss - women twittering with purpose Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie