Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Did you take your vitamins?

Happy Thursday Twitlossers! I was a very very bad girl last week and completely spaced on my post.... but to be fair I was in over my head in schoolwork. Thankfully I am done with the semester. Hopefully this will help with my twitloss effort as theoretically I now have more time to cook and plan, etc etc.

I wanted to talk (maybe briefly) a bit about supplements and vitamins. Is anyone else taking them? I seem to have an entire trough of them and all of them are HUGE. I hate swallowing pills... its uncomfortable and I suck at it. Because of this I have been slacking in keeping up with taking mine, but I need to make more of an effort. I thought I would share what I take... all of which were recommended to me by a local herbalist.

Daily Vitamin
First and foremost, a good daily vitamin is key. Garden of Life makes some of the best out there. I take the Perfect Weight version of their daily vitamin and I can always tell when I have been a slacker and not taken it as I should. My only complaint is that its 4 capsules a day... ugh.

Probiotic
I am also a big believer in that we all need healthy probiotics in our diet. They help boost your immune system and provide balance to your digestive system. Additionally, I tend to have really thin hair because of thyroid issues... probiotics are supposed to help with that. Exactly how, I'm not sure, but I trust my herbalist ;) So I take Primal Defense Ultra by Garden of Life. Right now I stick to just 1 capsule a day since I am also getting probiotics in my daily vitamin.

Greens

Do you hate leafy green stuff? I do. With a passion. Seriously, I am lucky if I eat a vegetable a day, but we all know its good for us. Sigh. So powdered greens are my solution. If I am having a smoothie I will just toss the powdered stuff in and no big deal, but the truth is I have been slacking on the smoothie a day ritual. So I went out and bought capsules to take on my non smoothie days. I take a brand called Amazing Greens that are made from organic stuff by my local herbalist, but you can find virtually the same thing online called Amazing Grass. My midwife introduced me to them when I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter as a way to get all the nutrients I needed without stressing about eating foods I couldn't stand. Only downfall with the capsules is that you have to take 6 of em to get a full serving. ugh.

Thyroid Crap
Lastly, for me, I have to take thyroid crap. I have some sort of thyroid deficiency (and no, I haven't had it actually checked for a variety of reasons). My local herb store, Herbally Grounded, makes a really great thyroid supplement called Thy-Right. I do notice a difference when I remember to take it... its the remembering that always gets me. It adds another 4 capsules to my daily intake of pills. ugh.

So all in all on most days I take 15 pills in the morning. Just adding that up makes me think I should stick to smoothie days, then I only have to swallow 9 a day LMAO.

Now that I have completely bored you with my supplement routine.... here is my personal update for the week? I lost another 3 lbs... I am not sure how. I did not get to the gym, didn't track food, tho I also didnt really overeat either. Also not a lot of alcohol this week. Hmm... maybe there is a correlation there? ;) It could also be that I was sick yesterday and lost some water weight... so I am prepared for it to show up next week. But for now I am taking it and hoping I can keep it from coming back this week.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

5 comments:

Dara Young on May 13, 2010 at 11:43 AM said...

Keep it up! You've lost 9lbs! Woot! Woot!

Robin Bradford on May 13, 2010 at 3:14 PM said...

WOO! Congratulations on being done for the semester AND on the 3lbs!

Thanks for the vitamin chat. I always think I should take vitamins, but if they aren't the chewable flintstones variety, I have no idea WTF to take, ya know? Are the Garden of Life brand available at a drug store or are they at a specialty store or something? Also, I love Spinach, but HATE HATE HATE all other vegetables with a passion. Must investigate more vitamins...

Tiffany @ KindleVixen on May 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM said...

Robin, they are probably at most health food stores or Whole Foods, but not most major stores. I buy mine from http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/ or amazon.com because they are usually cheapest and I can get all my stuff at one time :)

Tiffany @ KindleVixen on May 13, 2010 at 4:59 PM said...

btw - I know people who loves the Rainbow's Light brand too, I didn't like them but I don't remember why lol.

Anonymous said...

um... I suck at remembering my vitamins... :o/

 

About Us

We are a small group of women who met talking books and blogs on twitter. What better way to bond than to blog our journey to weight loss together?

Contact Us

twitloss (at) gmail (dot) com

Search This Blog

TwitLoss - women twittering with purpose Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie