Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

AMR/BMR/WTF?

Christmas in May? You're welcome! I'm truly scraping the bottom of the "food lyrics" barrel....






Anyway......so I gained 1.7lbs this week. Might as well get that out of the way up front, right? I haven't been eating any of the things in that song....but when I look at my food log, it is full of things that probably aren't so hot. AND, I went over my calories 3 or 4 days last week.....but, I also worked out 6 out of 7 days last week. 1.7lbs is within the margin of error, right? I only managed 8 glasses of water ONE day in the past TWO weeks. Hmmmmm.....Houston, I see the fucking problem!



I was flipping through this Jillian Michaels book yesterday (Thank you library!) and read her section on BMR (basic metabolism rate) and AMR (active metabolism rate). See more here.

A google search brought me to a blog page that had a similar calculation plus a little more explanation here.

I did both calculations and......it would seem I'm not eating ENOUGH calories. I know, is that crazy or what? The first thing I thought was, but I gained weight, so WTF? Could be a factor of many things: did I read the scale correctly two weeks ago? Did I really gain weight? Water weight? Pizza weight? Did I read the scale correctly this morning? Was I wearing different clothing or amount of clothing? I can't remember two weeks ago, people! It isn't enough of a gain that I'll stress about it. But, still is a gain. If you don't eat enough calories, according to Jillian, you'll put your body into deprivation and won't lose any weight. If I have increased the amount of exercise I do (and I have) and still eating fewer calories......sounds like a recipe for disaster. Yet, kinda hard to take that line of thought seriously when people on The Biggest Loser are losing 10, 15lbs per week (if not more) by eating WAY fewer calories and doing MUCH more exercise.

So, I think the strategy this week will be (again) more water. And keep a much closer eye on calories in vs. calories out. Wouldn't it be awesome if I really was eating too few calories?! Yeah, probably not gonna be the case. :-) Happy Tuesday!

5 comments:

Unknown on May 25, 2010 at 11:21 AM said...

Don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat, so it is entirely possible that you've been putting on muscle weight!

Trish on May 25, 2010 at 11:54 AM said...

I am going to read the links you posted, because I am not seeing the results I want to either. I also learned about the muscle gain this week as you read on my blog today.

Chin up, we will beat it!

Lynette on May 25, 2010 at 12:29 PM said...

Okay. I just went to my library and discovered that they had a lot of her books as well as the 30 day Shred DVD. So I requested two of her books and 30 Day Shred!

LOL!

Robin Bradford on May 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM said...

Lynette -- Yay!! My work here is done. :-)

Thanks all! I need to embrace the scale diet and stay away for a week or two. I just don't think I can do it. Maybe I'll measure and see if the inches have changed.

Tiffany @ KindleVixen on May 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM said...

Robin - I think not eating enough calories is one of the biggest mistakes people make! I havent read her book but I may check it out :)

 

About Us

We are a small group of women who met talking books and blogs on twitter. What better way to bond than to blog our journey to weight loss together?

Contact Us

twitloss (at) gmail (dot) com

Search This Blog

TwitLoss - women twittering with purpose Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie