Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Break out of your rut and finding new motivation.

Physically and emotionally, I get stuck in ruts. I get so locked into doing something a certain way that if I can't do it exactly that way I just give up. This is especially true of exercise for me. For months I've been stuck in the Body Pump/Zumba routine. I had days I went to each and if I couldn't go at those set times I just blew it off and didn't. They are great workouts but not if you don't do them consistently.

My solution this past week has been to shake things up. Just get off my ass and go. It doesn't matter if I only get 20 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical, or if I get an hour of Body Pump. I just need to be sweating.

The last week or so my activity was as follows:

March 13th - 1 hour Body Pump + 45 min treadmill
March 14th - 20 min treadmill, 30 min elliptical
March 15th - 1 hour Body Pump + 15 min elliptical
March 17th - 20 min elliptical
March 18th - 10 min treadmill, 30 min elliptical
March 19th - 10 min treadmill, 30 min elliptical
March 20th - 50 min elliptical

Previous to this week I'd only done maybe a maximum of 20 minutes on the elliptical, giving up as soon as my toes went numb. I don't know why this week was different, but I pushed through it and was able to hit 30 minutes and then pushed myself for 50 last night.

Maybe the difference is motivation? Without a doubt I am doing this for myself, but as someone who has issues of self worth.... sometimes that isn't good enough. Sometimes I forget that I deserve this, that I am worth it. It's hard to force yourself to stay on track when you are telling yourself you aren't worth it. In those times I need external motivation, I need rewards. I have a new one that has put a smile on my step and given me a determination I've not previously held.  I've done rewards in the past... a pair of shoes here, a tattoo there.... they sometimes work and sometimes do not. This one is different as it's not something I buy, its something less material. A chance to open myself up and explore what I want. It is something I deserve. I'm sorry, I'm probably being frustratingly vague simply because its so personal.

Anyway, because of this new reward, I'm changing my ticker.... I've lost 22 lbs since starting #twitloss, and a bit over 30 since starting this journey on my own previous to that. I want to lose another over the next 3-6 months.

Sometimes things just click. Maybe mine finally has?




Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

0 comments:

 

About Us

We are a small group of women who met talking books and blogs on twitter. What better way to bond than to blog our journey to weight loss together?

Contact Us

twitloss (at) gmail (dot) com

Search This Blog

TwitLoss - women twittering with purpose Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie