Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Men vs. Women in the Battle of the Bulge

Men SUCK! There I said it. I hate that my hubby decides he wants to lose weight and then a few weeks later he looks better. Hell, I hate that the only place he gains weight is his belly! Not fair. And then he looks at me and says: “You need to get off the couch more and worry about what you eat less.”

Really? Have you looked at my ass lately? It says different.

This reoccurring conversation, which we had AGAIN this weekend, led me to the question why? Why is it sssoooo easy for them to lose weight and so hard for us? I am sad to report back that…well…my husband is half right. Dear god, did I just type those words for all the world to see? Yes. Yes I did. Here is what I learned after a quick, highly unscientific, and totally depressing search of the internet.

First, men have more muscle than women. We naturally have more fat on our bodies for various physiological reasons but mostly because WE ARE THE GIVERS OF LIFE! That’s right they plant the seed but we make it happen. As a result we get a little extra padding and a slower metabolism.

Second, men are more active. What? I feel like I go all day long! Well, studies show that they tend to move more and do more. They also tend to weight lift and do interval training. All of that means they burn fat and calories more readily than women. (Yes, this is where my hubby is right…damn that kills me!)

Now here is the result…we just have to live more like men. We have to get up and move more. We have to do more manly exercise. No I don’t mean become a body builder, but strength training is a more efficient fat burner than cardio alone. Keep making good diet choices and eventually you will start to lose weight and hopefully speed up that metabolism. So, I guess I am going to have to get my butt up off the couch a little more often and maybe try a nice walk at work during the day on top of my regular exercise program to help get things moving.

Articles:

Weight Management: Men vs Women

http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/74646.htm

Why Men Lose Faster than Women http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=37981&sc=801

The Guys' Guide to Dieting

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56860

Weight-Loss Wars: Men vs. Women

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=55707

And just cause you got to the end of this post, here is a little reward. LOL!

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

Reena Jacobs on July 21, 2010 at 8:31 AM said...

My husband is 6'2", and I'm 5'4" yet he probably only weighs about 10 lbs more than me. Yikes!

Mr. Chicken Legs sits nicely in the normal weight category, while I'm happily eating my way out of the overweight category and into the obesity one.

I'm not going to pretend like I don't know what the problem is. I lead a sedentary lifestyle and have only just started exercising after 4 years. He works outside all day, then comes home and works some more.

But the big thing is I eat as much as my husband. Okay, who am I kidding. I eat more than him, at least at dinner. Overeating yummy dishes is a common them for me, but he very rarely goes back for more. He eats to live; I live to eat. Even right now I'm thinking about food and trying to talk myself out gorging when I do raid the fridge in a few minutes.

Dara Young on July 21, 2010 at 9:35 AM said...

I know, I have a similar problem with my husband. He thinks I can eat whatever I want and still lose weight because he can. I just need to move more. ROFL! Not so much.

Trish on July 22, 2010 at 6:15 AM said...

Love this post! During weightloss is the only time I wish I was a man...LOL!

MamaKitty on July 22, 2010 at 7:33 PM said...

PapaKitty is 6'2" and weighs 214. His build is tall and lanky, but he does have a bit of a beer gut. He's been telling me since I started losing weight that he's going to wait until I get closer to my goal before he starts. I laughed at him because he's 11 years older than me and I figured it wouldn't be as easy as he thought.

I was wrong. Sigh.

Because I refuse to make more than one meal a night, he's been eating the healthy food I've been cooking. And while I'm killing myself going to the gym, drinking a TON of water, and eating right, all he's doing is eating less during the day (he still eats his own weight at dinner though), and the brat has somehow managed to drop 15 pounds WITHOUT EVEN TRYING.

This is the part where I want to kill myself. Well... you know what I mean.

I've got to be more strict with myself on the time I spend on the computer. I can go to the gym and eat right, but if I come directly home and sit down at the computer, it doesn't do me a lot of good. And I hate that I have to restrict myself from something I love as much as I do.

 

About Us

We are a small group of women who met talking books and blogs on twitter. What better way to bond than to blog our journey to weight loss together?

Contact Us

twitloss (at) gmail (dot) com

Search This Blog

TwitLoss - women twittering with purpose Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie