Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

The Doctor is In!

Back in March when we first began Twitloss, I made an appointment with my doctor's office for a physical. The appointment was scheduled a month later but I didn't end up going. The appointment ended up coinciding with our vacation, so I missed it and didn't reschedule. Then we hosted a blood drive at my office and since I arranged it, I figured it would be hypocritical of me if I didn't donate blood as well. They turned me down, because they said my iron was too low. I always knew I had low iron and that I should be taking iron pills, but have you seen those freaking iron pills! They're awfully big and nasty looking and let's not even talk about how constipated they make you. So, I always avoided taking them. Getting turned away from donating blood, did make me decided to reschedule my doctor's appointment. So I did.


My first clue that something was wrong was when I was speaking with the scheduler on the phone, telling her why I wanted the physical and she suggested that I go to the lab and get some blood work beforehand. So I did.

My second clue that something was wrong was when I was speaking with my doctor's assistant and she asked me if I wanted to have him do my pelvic exam and stuff. I knew I was due for one, but ummm . . . my doctor is a man . . .. A very handsome, distinguished older black man from the islands who happens to be very good looking in a distinguished older gentleman type way. LOL! Call me vain, but there was no way that I wanted him looking down there. So I told her I would just go back to my OBGYN for that portion. She said okay and then we started talking about why I was there and certain things that I had concerns about and during that discussion it became very clear that it would be in my best interest if I had my doctor do my pelvic stuff. UGGGH!


I really like my doctor despite the fact of how he became my doctor. I found my doctor because my mother-in-law used to be his assistant. And I can tell you, nothing says uncomfortable as having your mother-in-law being your doctor's assistant. Though to give her credit, when she used to work there, she would have one of her colleagues come in and ask me all the personal crap (though I didn't see the point because it's not like she couldn't just pull up my medical record if she wanted to). Of course, when I needed shots, she made sure she was the one who gave them to me. LOL! Despite my mother-in-law working for my doctor, I still went to him because it was convenient, and he has one of the best private practices in the area. He's very anal, and no offense, I want a doctor with that type of personality. I don't want to be friends with my doctor, I want someone who knows what he's doing and is not floundering when something is wrong with me. That's what I get with my doctor. Though, I must admit I was very happy when my mother-in-law changed jobs. Though she still has friends that work there, it's kinda nice still but without that ewww, my MIL works there feel!

Anyhoo. It's never a good thing when your doctor looks at you in amazement and shakes his head like you’re a freaking medical miracle. Seriously, he exclaimed several times that he was shocked that with all the crap wrong with me that I didn't weigh more than I did. SERIOUSLY, several times. And he shook his head!

Basically, I'm tore up from the floor up. Not only is my iron literally non-existent, I'm pre-diabetic, my fibroids are jacked up, and theirs something up with my triglycerides whatever those are. Because he's anal, he's scheduled a bunch of testing for me. The first is today in a couple hours.

And he also told me that I really needed to start exercising in addition to watching what I eat, which as you know, I've been really slacking in the exercising department. The hubster and I joined the local athletic club, but we haven't gone yet. Today is going to be my first day!

Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Trish on July 12, 2010 at 7:12 AM said...

I am wishing you luck from the very fiber of my being! I am thinking about you today and hope things can get worked out. {{HUGS}}

Lori on July 12, 2010 at 10:56 AM said...

Good luck! And just imagine how great you're going to feel when all your labs and issues are straightened out!

Lynette on July 12, 2010 at 11:58 AM said...

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Dara Young on July 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM said...

{{{Hugs}}} hun! I hope your tests go well and you can get everything back on track!

Robin Bradford on July 13, 2010 at 5:27 AM said...

YOU are going to be fine! (as long as you stop tweeting and driving...) Very happy you rescheduled your appointment and made it. Finding out all the crap is the first step in fixing it.

 

About Us

We are a small group of women who met talking books and blogs on twitter. What better way to bond than to blog our journey to weight loss together?

Contact Us

twitloss (at) gmail (dot) com

Search This Blog

TwitLoss - women twittering with purpose Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie