Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Elliptical is evil!


Yes, you read that right. I have a love/hate relationship with this machine. I finally took the plunge and joined the gym here in town on Sunday. I figure for $10.00 bucks a month it’s going to be worth it. They have all kinds of different machines available provided you go when everyone else isn’t already there. Since I’m a SAHM (stay at home mom), I try to get to the gym between 11:00 and 2:00. It seems there aren’t as many people there during that time.

Anyway, I started working out on Monday and have been everyday since. (I know it's only been three days lol) 

Monday, I got to work with a trainer and got all my measurements and my weight etc.  The club offers a free evaluation with a trainer once a month for three months. My trainer’s name is Megan and she’s really nice but man did she ever wear me out.

I went from practically no exercise to right into a ½ mile warm up walk, to 10 minutes on the elliptical machine (I’m telling you that machine is evil), to doing free weights, squats and pushups.  That woman wore me out within a half hour. By the time I left there, I was covered in sweat, out of breath and ready to crash.

During the time Megan and I were talking, she asked when how often I planned on working out. I told her Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. She proceeded to tell me that I needed to work out 5 days a week and two of those needed to include strength training. There went my plan of getting by with 3 days.

She also gave me some good nutritional information. I have already made major changes with my diet at the first of the year. I quit drinking soda, eating junk food, fried food and overall just about anything that isn’t good for you. I’ve never been much of a breakfast person but make myself eat a big breakfast. I try to eat cereal that is high in fiber, a glass of milk and a piece of fruit. I am eating six times a day. I eat three regular meals and three snacks throughout the day. I can definitely notice that I have more energy which is a good thing and I feel much better.

I have approximately 70 pounds total to lose to get to my goal weight of 140 pounds. Things are off to a good start. On Monday, I weighed in at 206.8 pounds meaning that I have dropped 4 pounds in a week’s time. I just need to make sure I stay on track with both healthy eating and getting to the gym 5 days a week.

Do you work out? How often do you work out and how long do you spend doing so?

PS: Back to the Elliptical being evil. If you’ve never been on one, you need to try it out. The ones we have at my gym not only work your legs and butt but also your arms. Some don’t do the arms. There are a couple like that at my gym that nobody uses. I can only go 10 minutes on a setting of 2 and 2. It totally wears me out. I’m hoping by next week I can make it 15 minutes along with my usual 3 to 4 mile walk. We shall see. Hope your having a great week!

PSS: I am officially smoke free for 12 days now!!!! :D

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

WTG on the smoke free! Maybe I will join you in that too.

That elliptical kicked my butt numerous times. Just when I was getting used to it and could stay on more than 5 minutes (seriously) things fell apart at home and I havent been back to the gym. It's on my to do list.

Congrats to you on making it 3x this week.

 

About Us

We are a small group of women who met talking books and blogs on twitter. What better way to bond than to blog our journey to weight loss together?

Contact Us

twitloss (at) gmail (dot) com

Search This Blog

TwitLoss - women twittering with purpose Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie