Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Eating out

I took PK to the doctor yesterday and he had to fast for loodwork. So, of course, he immediately wanted to get something to eat once it was all said and done. Since the doctor had just finished stressing to him that he needed to lose weight, I told him that I wanted fish. Good idea, right? Fish is good for you. Well, you'd be amazed at how much people like to fatten up stuff that's good for you.

We went to a place called Valdo's Seafood House, which apparently also specializes in Mexican food, now that I look at the website. I'd planned on getting a salad, but I didn't want to pay $15 for a salad. So, I got one of their specials - stuffed grilled snapper (recipe from allrecipes).

I was expecting a regular sized portion of fish, some potatoes, and a side of vegetables. What I got was sweet potatoes, garlic mashed potatoes, broccoli, green beans, rice pilaf, fish, shrimp (both stuffed inside the fish and on top of the fish), mushrooms, and a rich creamy fattening (delicious) Ponchatrain sauce (mostly on the side, thankfully). Even PK, who was starving, said something along the lines of "Holy crap, that's a lot of food!"

I didn't finish my food (and I'm now wishing I would've taken a before and after picture of both our plates, because even he didn't finish everything) and ended up needing TWO to-go boxes for everything. That's how much food they gave me. All I kept thinking was "Gordon Ramsay would be ashamed." and "I need to post on Twitloss about this."

We go out to eat a lot. We live in an area with a lot of really awesome restaurants and lately I've been too tired... ok, lazy, to cook. Because we eat out so often, I find it difficult to make good food choices while I'm ordering. It's no secret that I love food. My waistline is evidence enough of that. But in trying to lose weight, I've been trying to make better decisions. Having salad, chicken, or fish instead of the steak or hamburger I really want. Drinking water instead of the margarita that's calling my name.

Yesterday was a big temptation for me. The foods that were on my massive plate were all my favorites. It was difficult for me to put my fork down and say "I'm done" without picking it back up and having "just one more bite". I think next time when I decide that I'm done, I'm going to ask the waiter to box up my food earlier so that the temptation isn't as prevalent.

How do you deal with temptation when you're out to eat?

2 comments:

Kwana on June 3, 2011 at 6:29 AM said...

Eating out can be so difficult. You never know what will come even when it sounds healthy.

Dara Young on June 6, 2011 at 12:54 PM said...

And let's face it, we never know how they really cook the "healthy" food either. Sigh, I have this same issue. DH and I love going out to eat.

 

About Us

We are a small group of women who met talking books and blogs on twitter. What better way to bond than to blog our journey to weight loss together?

Contact Us

twitloss (at) gmail (dot) com

Search This Blog

TwitLoss - women twittering with purpose Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie