Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Plan is There is No Plan...


And, well who wants to plan to fail? Not me! So I went and looked around to see what the experts say on how to survive the holiday on a diet. Here are some of the best practices I have found from around the interwebs:

Trim back on the trimmings (WebMD) Go all out and deck the halls with boughs of holly, glitter, and lights, but when it comes to holiday food, accessorize with care. To shave calories, go easy when adding nuts, cheese, cream sauces, gravy, butter, and whipped cream -- additions that don't add much to the meal, but can add plenty to your waistline. Trim calories wherever you can so you leave the party feeling satisfied, but not stuffed, recommends Carolyn O'Neil, MS, RD, author of The Dish on Eating Healthy and Being Fabulous.

Have a low-calorie snack before leaving for a holiday party. (Suite 101) Arrive fashionably late at cocktail parties so you miss some of the temptation to eat more. Position yourself away from the food. Find someone interesting to talk to.

Be active! (Associated Content by Yahoo) The mistake that most people make during the holidays; don't stay in all day sitting down or laying down. Consider going for a walk at the mall, or perhaps doing some visiting around with your neighbors. Don't stay sitting down for more than an hour at any time, unless you're sleeping.

And well, we all know that we have to survive the workplace minefield of holiday parties, potlucks, and well intentioned goodies brought in by co-workers. Remember at work you are battling stress and fat! Here are a few workplace ideas:

Have eggs for breakfast or lunch! (Sheknows.com) Because they contain all the essential amino acids in the perfect portions for humans, eggs are the highest quality protein available. In fact, they're the most effective at increasing nitrogen stores in muscles, making them firmer so they burn more calories even when your body is at rest. Eggs also an ideal food when you're trying to keep blood sugar and cortisol under control: Their satiating protein and healthy fats prevent fat-trapping blood sugar spikes and they're loaded with vitamin D, a nutrient proven to reduce cortisol production.

Plan a counter attack. (Thedietchannel.com) Prepare your own large platters of fruits and veggies. Place them next to the goodies and every time you walk past, grab a veggie instead of the candy. Even if you only take the healthier snack half the time, you’re making an improvement.




Now, I want to know. Are you planning to use any of these strategies? Got some of your own? Or are you throwing caution and your scale to the wind and enjoying the holiday season? I want to know!


Update: I had to drop by and add my awesome news! I hopped on the scale, and despite Aunt Flo's visit this week I am down 5lbs! Woo! Hoo! *happy dance*

5 comments:

Trish on November 17, 2010 at 6:14 AM said...

I do have a plan :) I started a new challenge, got my exercise for the week planned out, got my water bottle and hope to drink lots o water...LOL! For the holidays, I only have one dinner to go to and before that I am working on my portion control so I won't pig out at the dinner. I will not deny myself, but will only have 1 plate of dinner, I will not go back for seconds.

I have a plan of attack, now lets hope I can win the battle!!

Dara Young on November 17, 2010 at 8:33 AM said...

Yay! I am glad to hear you have a plan and a reasonable one at that. It can be really hard to survive if you try to deny yourself everything. Some people can do it...but I would not be one of them!

Baking with Melissa™ on November 17, 2010 at 10:34 AM said...

I have a meeting today at Olive Garden with friends...I would normally NEVER go there...so, I looked up the nutritional facts on the website and picked out exactly what I will be eating and already know the calorie damage I will be doing while there. Looking up the nutritional facts is shocking! Most of the dishes at that restaurant are at least 1000 calories (most were 1500)...the desserts are close to that as well...just knowing what I would be doing to my body in advance makes me want to make better choices. So...yeah...try to make better choices when I can.

WEIGHT LESS NOT MORE on November 17, 2010 at 2:10 PM said...

I know the holidays will be a challenge with all the family functions and additional temptation and I am a creature of habit so I don't like anything to disrupt my routine. I plan to eat responsibly and continue to make my workouts at the gym count. If I can make it thru the holiday season without gaining any weight I will consider that a success.

Great news about your 5lb loss that is sweet!

Paige Prince on November 17, 2010 at 4:20 PM said...

I want to be super strict about staying on my diet, but that'd mean I can't have ANYTHING on Thanksgiving. That's one of my protein shakes, vitamin cleanse, & watery green veggies days. So, I'm going to have a little bit of turkey with no gravy and I'm gonna stick to the healthier foods... Of course, I'll have to call my MIL to see what she's making. If none of the sides are diet friendly, I'll just make some fresh steamed broccoli & eat that.

Dieting on the holidays SUCKS!! But I'm determined to drop this weight and keep it off!!!

 

About Us

We are a small group of women who met talking books and blogs on twitter. What better way to bond than to blog our journey to weight loss together?

Contact Us

twitloss (at) gmail (dot) com

Search This Blog

TwitLoss - women twittering with purpose Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie