Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Someone stop the rollercoaster, I want off!

As some of you know, I'm bipolar. It's a relatively mild case, but it's still bipolar disorder, and it comes with all the wonderful highs and terrible lows that come along with it. I was diagnosed 2 years ago, but was unmedicated until recently. For a long time, I decided that I was ok without meds because it was such a mild form and I didn't sink into deep depressions or have manic highs all the time (I've learned that this is what all people with bipolar disorder say, no matter how severe or mild their case may be).

PK & I have always had an interesting relationship. We like to tease each other and pick until one or the other is screaming and ready to lose their mind (I swear, we do it out of love... and because I have 4 brothers and I can't resist tickling PK's feet or pretending I'm going to stick my finger in his nose - yes, I'm aware of how weird we are). Well, until a few months ago I was perfectly ok with this. I was used to him poking my arm while I'm writing or touching buttons on my Kindle while I'm reading. It's part of our relationship. But when I started bursting into tears or throwing an absolute fit, I realized that maybe I didn't have my emotions as under control as I thought.

I went to the doctor, and because of the type of birth control I'm on, they could only offer me one type of mood leveler (not an anti-depressant), which is lithium.

Yeah, I had that reaction too. "Oh shit! That's scary stuff!" but in reality, it's not really that scary when you look at the statistics and the results. The reason it's been on the market as long as it has been is because it WORKS. The biggest problem? It makes you HUNGRY and all you want to do it eat (which obviously leads to weight gain).

I went to the doctor last week, terrified that I'd gained 20 pounds, but feeling much better (emotionally) than I have in years. Well, I've only gained 1 pound, and that was mostly because of water retention. WOOT!

So, yay for the rollercoaster slowing down and nearing a stop, AND for only gaining ONE POUND!

How are you doing with your weight loss? Met any goals? Overcome any obstacles?

1 comments:

Lynette on February 19, 2011 at 6:49 AM said...

Getting your health in order comes first. Glad that your getting everything under control.

 

About Us

We are a small group of women who met talking books and blogs on twitter. What better way to bond than to blog our journey to weight loss together?

Contact Us

twitloss (at) gmail (dot) com

Search This Blog

TwitLoss - women twittering with purpose Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie