Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

It's cold and I'm hungry.

*waves* Hello! Tyhada's not feeling that great, so I offered to blog for her today. Unfortunately, I woke up to 45 degree weather, so all I can think about it how F'ing cold it is. I live in Texas, where we don't get weather like this very often. Yes, I turned the heater on, and I'm wearing my favorite hoodie, but my knee is angry at me (stupid arthritis) and all I can think about is the pot of chili I'm going to make for dinner tonight.

Doesn't sound much like a #twitloss post, does it?

Well, it does if you make chili the way I do. I don't use ground beef (although PK thinks I do... shh, don't tell him!) and I use a special recipe I found years ago. It's not your traditional Texas chili. Meaning: there are beans in it. PK grumbled about it the first time I made it, but when he took his first bite, he promptly stopped talking because he had his mouth too full of food to speak. Yup, it's that good. It's also pretty healthy, for chili.

Serves: 8; Calories: 295; Total Fat: 8 grams; Saturated Fat: 2.5 grams; Protein: 22 grams; Total carbohydrates: 35 grams; Sugar: 8 grams; Fiber: 10 grams; Cholesterol: 37 milligrams; Sodium: 512 milligrams

Three Bean and Beef Chili
Total Time:
1 hr 25 min
Prep
15 min
Cook
1 hr 10 min
Yield:
10 cups (serves 8, serving size 1 1/4 cup)

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced (1 cup)
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
  • 2 carrots, diced (1/2 cup)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced (optional - I rarely use this)
  • 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can of chipotles (again, optional - I rarely use this)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15.5-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15.5-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed

Directions

Heat the oil in large pot or Dutch oven over moderate heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and carrots, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the ground beef; raise the heat to high and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomatoes, water, chipotle and adobo sauce, oregano and salt and pepper. Simmer, partially covered, stirring from time to time, for 30 minutes. Stir in the beans and cook, partially covered, 20 minutes longer. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

0 comments:

 

About Us

We are a small group of women who met talking books and blogs on twitter. What better way to bond than to blog our journey to weight loss together?

Contact Us

twitloss (at) gmail (dot) com

Search This Blog

TwitLoss - women twittering with purpose Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie